Saturday, May 07, 2005

The Rainbow Goblins

I was very young sitting with my twin and older brother on the floor of the Music Room
My dad was sitting on top of the picnic table we had in there
He took down from the shelf our favorite book, "The Rainbow Goblins" by Ul De Rico
This book has been my favorite ever since the first time my dad read it and still is to this day
Maybe because it was the only book he ever read to us or maybe for the storyline or the beautiful illustrations, whatever it is that drew me to this book I'll never know I just know that I buy it as gifts to everyone I know who has kids.
It's about 7 goblins each a different rainbow color who goes from storm to storm waiting for the end so they can throw their lassos up catch their particular color and drink the rainbows colors. This excerpt is just a small part of how magnificent this book is written, the illustrations are unheard of in today's books...every page is so very detailed with life and color. It is a must read for everyone of all ages!!!!
The goblins sprang to their feet and rushed to the mouth of the cave. "A storm, a storm!" Red shouted. "Look how the wind is driving it toward us!" Orange cried. And all the goblins danced and pranced about in glee, for they knew that after the wildest
morning thunderstorm comes the most beautiful rainbow.
I thought about it today because I saw a car with the rainbow sticker on the back bumper - different meaning I know, but it still made me come home and read the book for the millionth time. I wonder if my dad knew how much it meant to me to have that book read over and over again but so rarely did he do so.
I do believe there was symbolism behind this children's book and the last page tells it all...

But since that time the Rainbow has become more cautious. Now when it arches across the sky it is careful not to touch the earth anywhere. No matter how you try to sneak up on it, you can never come to the place where it begins or ends.





1 comment:

mylifeofreilly said...

Check out the page that starts with "...which a second later snapped back at them" Now take a look at what the orange goblin is 'doing' to the red goblin. There is also a hidden image on the large rocky page, near the center...
Just thought it was funny that the bumper sticker reminded you of the book. You were actually right on...