Friday, June 03, 2005

Back in the Day

I remember back in the day when I was 8yrs old
My twin, Kat, our best friend Erin, and I during the summers use to roam the neighborhoods...well, one particular spot.
We use to play hide and seek in the Church and when we got bored of that we'd go down to the "White Room" (that's where they use to have the coffee after mass on Sundays) and hang out with the cleaning people - we'd ask them all kinds of questions
Anyway, one day while we were chasing each other through the pues (is that how you spell it?) One janitor that we always steered clear from caught us and made us go with him to the Rectory (where the priests live)...we were in the hallway next to the Rectory's office when he told us to wait there...all of us knew we were in BIG trouble if the pastor -Father Don came down and saw us so Erin didn't skip a beat and said we gotta get outta there. Both Kat and I were afraid to get caught but more afraid of what would happen if we left when we were told to wait. But Erin was determined not to get caught and she said we should just say that we heard our Mom's calling us...
Yeah, like we can hear our Mom's call from 2 blocks down and we're indoors
But hey, we were kids so we ran with the idea...we each took turns screaming on the top of our lungs as we ran out the door "Coming Mom!!!"

When we got home Kat and I told the story to our Mom because we figured that they would call and tell on us anyway and my Mom laughed - I was shocked...we didn't get into trouble for playing in the Church

Because we didn't get into trouble we didn't fear the janitor anymore and continued to play there day in and day out...the funny thing was - once school started we all got lectured by Father Don about rules :-)
Being kids rocks!!! Today I wouldn't be caught dead inside a church doing anything except doing the "mass thing" And sadly I only go once a year (Christmas) and I refuse to go to my old church...it's changed, it's more like a theater/money maker than a place to worship.
Oh well, to be young again :-)

1 comment:

mckait said...

:) good story!

I don't belong to any church / religion these days.. I follow my own path.. as you say, they are money makers and often filled with hypocrites ..

But when we were young, my sister and I went to catholic school. They let us go there, even though we were "poor"

I had to work throughout the day to help pay our way.. i worked in the supply store, in the office and i also had to work in the cafeteria scraping plates.

On saturdays I had to go and help the nuns .. and sometimes during the week i had to cook them lunch.. and sometimes had to walk many blocks into downtown to do errands for them.

swear! for all of this.. we got "free" lunches ..

another thing i had to do is to help in the curch itself.... clean out the votive candle cups.. .. i had to take a knife and scrape out the old wax and then fill them all up with new candles..

I also had to lay out vestments for the priests, sometimes..

I hated being alone in the church! i never flet it was a sanctuary.. it felt more like a prison..

And it never failed, when i was "alone" there, I would always hear noises.. things like dropping or creaking or shuffling..

used to scare the daylights out of me!